Senior Backend Engineer (Scala)
EyeEm is an AI-powered marketplace for premium photos. With 24.5 million photographers and over 100 million photos, the Berlin-based company is the largest community of photographers and one of the largest stock photography marketplaces in the world. The platform is powered by its best in class, patented computer vision software that automatically understands the content of an image and is used to select visuals which uniquely match a brand’s specific aesthetics. More and more companies also tap into EyeEm’s worldwide community to book photographers and carry out high quality photo shoots on the fly.
We're looking for an experienced Backend Developer to...
- Design and develop new features for our platform from scratch
- Build backend services that power our automation processes and internal tools
- Maintain and optimise existing features and services for performance and stability
- Find and resolve issues with the platform in close communication with our product, data and support teams
- Work together with different people from the company of varying technical level such as product managers and stakeholders
- You have a passion for writing clean code, with an appetite for taking on complex architectural challenges.
- It's easy for you to communicate and explain complex problem sets.
- You are a great teammate, with the ability to motivate the team to improve each day.
- You see writing tests for your code as standard operating procedure.
- You acknowledge the importance of good, resilient design and architecture documentation.
- You are already in the Berlin area or have a EU work permit
- 3+ years experience as a developer
- Fluency in Scala and knowledge of another language (e.g. Python, Java)
- Solid software engineering & design pattern skills in a microservice environment
- Experience with Play Framework and/or Akka
- Experience with asynchronous processing with message brokers like RabbitMQ & Kafka
- Experience with high traffic environments & scaling distributed systems
- Experience with Ansible, Chef, Docker, Kubernetes and/or other automation and orchestration tools
At EyeEm we work with advanced technology in a work environment that truly values diversity, where you can develop your skills and learn from the best. We are an international team that is highly motivated and fun to be with.
You'll have a significant impact on our product and community. We offer our engineers the best tools to work with: you can pick your hardware and we are visiting meetups and conferences. We also offer team lunches and free onsite German lessons, focusing on using German beyond the workplace.