Search Engineer (ElasticSearch)
EyeEm is a photography company that connects over 22 million creators with iconic brands and agencies around the world. Since the beginning of EyeEm in 2011, our unique combination of strong tools for creators, a licensing environment designed for leading brands & enterprises and advanced search technologies have taken EyeEm to become the largest and leading hub for a new generation of photography. Read more about our story!
We're looking for an experienced Backend/ElasticSearch Engineer to...
- Build, maintain and optimize a range of services and features that fuel EyeEm
- Be a link between Backend and Data Engineers and our search infrastructure
- Improve existing functionality for performance and stability
- Work together with data analysts and scientists to evaluate changes of the search experience
- Find and resolve issues with the platform in close communication with our product and support teams
- Communicate search development to audiences of varying technical level such as leadership, key stakeholders and product managers.
- You have a passion for writing clean code, with an appetite for taking on complex architectural challenges
- It's easy for you to communicate and explain complex problem sets
- You are a great teammate, with the ability to motivate the team to improve each day
- You see writing tests & documenting your code as standard operating procedure
- You believe in deploying and maintaining the services you build
- You acknowledge the importance of good, resilient design and architecture documentation
- 3+ years experience as a developer, a technical degree is a plus
- Fluency in Java or Scala/JVM and another language such as Python
- Hands-on experience with a Lucene-based search system (ElasticSearch/SOLR)
- Knowledge around large-scale data processing and warehousing
- Experience with Chef, Ansible and/or other automation tools
- Experience with message brokers like RabbitMQ & Kafka
- Experience building and scaling distributed systems.
At EyeEm we work with advanced technology in a visionary organisation. It is a work environment that truly values diversity, where you can develop your skills and learn from the best. We are an international team that is highly motivated and fun to be with.
You'll have a significant impact on our product and community. We offer our engineers the best tools to work with: you can pick your hardware and we are visiting meetups and conferences. Take part in weekly team lunches and onsite German lessons, focusing on using German beyond the workplace.